What You Need to Know:
Applications Accepted to Become One of the Permanent Invitees on the Canadian Administrator of VRS (CAV) board.
As you are aware Marty Taylor represented ASL-English interpreters as a Permanent Invitee on the CAV board for the inaugural year, and her term will be ending March 9, 2015. The AVLIC Board, on behalf of the membership, thanks Marty for her hard work and dedication to this initiative. The AVLIC Board is confident that members were well represented at the CAV. Thank you Marty!
The Board of Directors of the Canadian Administrator of VRS (CAV) Inc. recently announced the process for stakeholder groups to register, nominate and elect people who will be on the permanent CAV board which will oversee the implementation and operations of VRS in Canada. Because of the CAV structure and staggered terms, at this time, only the ASL Interpreter Permanent Invitee is up for election.
Timelines for the registration, nomination-and election process are tight and were only announced in the past few days. Your AVLIC Board and Affiliate Chapter boards have been working diligently over the past few days to ensure we are each registered and are collaboratively able to define criteria for our Permanent ASL Interpreter Invitee position nomination.
Individual members are NOT being able to register, nominate or elect a representative. This process is only open to registered stakeholder groups that meet defined criteria. AVLIC and each of your Affiliate Chapters have registered to be a stakeholder.
Your AVLIC Board and Affiliate Chapter boards are asking for members who are interested in becoming one of the Permanent ASL Interpreter Invitees to apply to AVLIC and the Affiliate Chapters respectively.
Complete application details are included in the “Nice to Know” section below. Details on the structure of the CAV board of directors and additional information is included in the FAQ sheet and in the "If You Really Want to Know" section below.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Friday, February 26, 2016 at 5:00pm EST
Nice to Know:
Timeline defined to meet requirements set out by the interim CAV board:
- February 22, 2016 – Deadline for registrations by stakeholder groups
- February 26, 2016 – Deadline for applications for the Permanent Invitee positions
- February 26-28, 2016 – Review of Permanent Invitee applications by AVLIC and Affiliate Chapter boards and/or selected representatives
- February 29, 2016 – Deadline for nominations for the Permanent Invitee positions
- March 2-9, 2016 - Voting for Permanent Invitees
- March 10, 2016 - Results announced by CAV
As outlined above, AVLIC and Affiliate Chapters have already registered as “Interpreter Stakeholders”.
What We Know About The Permanent Invitee Positions:
Please see the FAQ document here for more information on the CAV and the positions.
The term up for election for the Permanent Invitee ASL position is 3 years
Terms are staggered for the CAV board, the position was initially a 1 year term with 3 year terms being the standard term for all subsequent boards.
The Permanent Invitee positions are non-voting positions, advisory roles only.
- An AVLIC member in good standing
- Experience serving on a board of directors
- Strong working knowledge of national interpreting issues
- Experience as an administrator (business practices)
- Experience working in a VRS environment
How to Apply:
Submit the following:
- Cover letter detailing how you meet the above assets
- Current C.V. or résumé
- Brief biography (1 page in writing, or a 3-minute ASL/LSQ video). This biography should detail the candidate’s relevant experience in order to assist voting stakeholders in casting their votes (as required in the Nominee Attestation and Consent Form)
- Completed Nominee Attestation and Consent Form
- Completed Candidate Nomination Form (select ASL Permanent Invitee)
Packages containing the 5 completed items above can be sent to the AVLIC office via e-mail. Faxed submissions or courier-expressed packages will NOT be accepted.
E-mail to include:
SUBJECT: CAV Permanent Invitee Application – Your Name
Attach written documents and include online link to the ASL/LSQ video (if applicable)
Who Will Review The Applications?
Applications will be received by the AVLIC office and uploaded to a private Dropbox account. The link to the Dropbox folder will be shared with the following for review and consideration:
- AVLIC Board of Directors
- Affiliate Chapter boards of directors
- Designated Affiliate Chapter representatives (if applicable)
After applications are reviewed, AVLIC and Affiliate Chapters will each be able to nominate an Permanent ASL Interpreter Invitee. Nominations close on February 29, 2016.
On March 2, 2016, CAV will circulate ballot forms setting out the finalized list of candidates. Registered stakeholders will have until March 9, 2016, to complete and return their ballot form by email. Ballot forms that are received after this date will not be accepted.
If You Really Want to Know:
The Structure of the Board of Directors:
The governance structure of CAV is designed to ensure that the permanent board of directors will be able to benefit from perspectives of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) community, sign language interpreters, telecommunications service providers (TSPs) and the Canadian public.
Specifically, there will be nine (9) positions associated with the CAV’s permanent board of directors, as follows:
Three (3) DHH Directors, consisting of:
One (1) ASL Director
One (1) LSQ Director
One (1) director jointly selected by the ASL and LSQ Directors
Two (2) Telecom Service Provider (TSP) Directors
Two (2) Independent Directors
Two (2) Permanent Invitees, consisting of:
One (1) ASL Interpreter Permanent Invitee
One (1) LSQ Interpreter Permanent Invitee
To learn more about the CRTC ruling click on the following link: Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2014-659
Contact the AVLIC office at firstname.lastname@example.org