Changes Happening at AVLIC 2014...
Some exciting changes will be happening at the AVLIC 2014 conference with hopes that they will make the delegate experience more efficient and enjoyable. Changes include:
- Early AGM Registration
- First-Time Delegate Orientation
- Student Meet & Greet
- Social Media at AVLIC 2014
- AGM Package Format
- Incentive Program
For the first time, registration for the AVLIC AGM will begin at the start of the conference. Traditionally AGM registration is on the same morning as the business meeting, but this year an AGM registration table will be available on Tuesday, July 8, 2014 where members can pre-register for the AGM. Prior to the AGM on Saturday, July 12, 2014, members who pre-registered only need to arrive early enough to pick up their voting cards and any proxy cards they are carrying.
The goal of this change is twofold:
- To allow the AVLIC Board to evaluate if the minimum quorum will be reached for the AGM. If it does not appear there are enough votes pre-registered, then a call-out to members requesting they send in their proxies can be made during the week.
- To expedite the registration process for members and to reduce the line-up on Saturday morning to register for the AGM.
For members who are unable to pre-register for the AGM or for last minute proxy registration, the AGM registration table will still be available on Saturday, July 12, 2014. Please arrive early to meet with one of the wonderful AGM registration table volunteers.
For delegates who are attending their first AVLIC conference, there is a First-Time Delegate Orientation scheduled on Tuesday, July 8, 2014 from 6pm - 7pm, just prior to the Opening Reception (Wine & Cheese). Any first time delegates are welcome to attend.
The AVLIC Board and representatives from AVLIC 2014 will be there to answer questions you might have. It is also a great chance to meet other first-time delegates. Check the conference registration notice board for location details.
For student members and recent graduates of an IEP, there is a Student Meet & Greet scheduled on Tuesday, July 8, 2014 from 5pm - 6pm. It's a chance for students attending the conference to get to know one another before attending the First-Time Delegate Orientation and/or Opening Reception (Wine & Cheese). Check the conference registration notice board for location details.
AVLIC is hosting social media posts throughout the AVLIC 2014 conference. Watch the AVLIC Facebook page (www.facebook.com/AVLIC) and AVLIC Twitter account (www.twitter.com/AVLIC_Canada) for posts. Delegates are also asked to keep everyone up to date on the events at the conference. Use #AVLIC2014 for all Twitter posts.
Traditionally the AGM package is a large document. The goal has been to provide members with all the information necessary to be informed about the business of the association. However, members have provided feedback saying it can be too cumbersome to read the entire package.
In an effort to make the AGM package more reader-friendly, a new format has been used for the 2014 package. The package is divided into 3 documents (but all 3 together officially constitute the AGM package):
- need to know! : This document contains the minimum information needed to be prepared to vote at the AGM and should be read before arriving at the meeting on Saturday, July 12, 2014. It includes the agenda, proposed motions, members' rights & responsibilities and proxy form.
- nice to know! : This document includes additional information to get a fuller understanding of the operations. It includes the Board, staff & committee reports and nomination platforms.
- if you really want to know! : This document has all the remaining information to round out the AGM package for those who want to see all the details. In includes Affiliate Chapter reports, announcements and the Board nomination form.
For even more links and details about the AGM package, members should sign into the MEMBERS ONLY section and then click on the following link: www.avlic.ca/members/agm (note: this link will only work after accessing the MEMBERS ONLY section).
When delegates arrive and register, they will receive their AVLIC 2014 registration package. Tucked in behind the name tag there will be a new 'incentive card'. Here's what it will look like:
The incentive card is used to track attendance at 4 events we feel are important for members to attend. The first is the Members' Rights & Responsibilities presentation given by Parliamentary Advisor Maureen Haan during the catered lunch on Thursday, July 10, 2014. The remaining 3 events are the Special Topic Sessions (STSs) the morning of Friday, July 11, 2014.
Before leaving each of these events, be sure to get an attendance sticker to affix to the back of the card. Collect all 4 stickers and you can enter your card into a draw to win 1 of 3 prizes: either a "Still Talking…" DVD set (valued at $500) or a free AVLIC membership for 2015/16 (valued at $235; Affiliate Chapter fees not included in this prize). Winners can choose which prize they want.
Remember to write your name on the front of the card and collect all 4 stickers. Cards can be handed in at:
- The AVLIC 2014 registration desk location on Friday, July 11, 2014
- The entrance to the Appreciation Luncheon on Friday, July 11, 2014
- The entrance to the Special Event: An Evening with Noah Buchholzon on Friday, July 11, 2014
- The AVLIC AGM registration desk on Saturday, July 12, 2014