Full Time Position
Start date: August 8, 2017
Deadline for applications: July 12, 2017
Location: Canada, (work from home office)
The Association of Visual Language Interpreters (AVLIC) is dedicated to advancing the profession of sign language interpreting and supporting its members through various programs and services. Our employees, contractors and volunteers enjoy a flexible work environment, opportunities for skill development & networking, as well as the opportunity to be at the forefront of shaping the profession on a national scale.
The Administrative Assistant is a full-time (35 hours per week) employee of AVLIC with a 2-year term contract position, with the possibility of extension.
While the Administrative Assistant reports to the AVLIC Executive Director, the Administrative Assistant will also report to the AVLIC Evaluations Officer for all matters CES-related.
AVLIC will provide the Administrative Assistant with all equipment needed to conduct duties of the position, however the Administrative Assistant is expected to have a home office with high speed internet to work from.
Note to all AVLIC member applicants
The Administrative Assistant will have access to all Canadian Evaluation System (CES) testing source materials. If the successful candidate is an AVLIC member, s/he will not be eligible to pursue any of the CES phases during the contract period and three years following the conclusion of the employment contract.
AVLIC membership dues will not be covered as part of this employment agreement.
The Administrative Assistant will assume duties in AVLIC General Administration, Membership Processing, Canadian Evaluations System and Project Implementation Assistant. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Respond to questions & inquiries
- Maintain accurate records and files of AVLIC and CES documents
- Compose any necessary documentation as requested by the AVLIC Board of Directors or the Executive Director
- Support the efforts of the AVLIC Board of Directors, Executive Director, standing committees, ad hoc committees and special projects/services as needed
- Update the AVLIC website and social media sites
- Coordinate all logistics of in-person/online meetings of the AVLIC Board of Directors, as well as AGMs
- Coordinate all e-mail correspondence to AVLIC members via the distribution list
- Compose and maintain policies and procedures, and manuals for AVLIC
- Prepare for and manage the annual membership renewal campaign, and coordinate membership incentive programs
- Oversee the provision of all phases of the Canadian Evaluation System, including but not limited to the Written Test of Knowledge WTK, the Development Resource Online Clearinghouse, the Test of Interpretation (TOI) and Certification Maintenance
- Assist with planning, scheduling and coordination of project implementation activities
- Create and maintain project progress monitoring data to track each project as well as provide assistance to ensure established project deadlines and related tasks are completed as assigned
- Other duties as required by the Executive Director or Evaluations Officer
- Fluent in both American Sign Language and English (LSQ and French considered an asset). Strong written English skills.
- Experience with public relations writing, policy writing & job manual drafting, knowledge of clear writing principles
- Knowledgeable about the field of sign language interpreting in Canada, knowledge of the international interpreting field is an asset
- Understanding of the Canadian Deaf community and Deaf culture
- Possess strong creative writing and light research skills
- Demonstrated tech savviness, including:
- Experience creating VLOGS & using video-based email/messaging platforms and simple video editing
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Word and Excel), and other common computer programs available to both Mac & PC systems
- Experience with website management and development (to work in conjunction with the contracted IT support and CES Video Specialist)
- Exceptional record keeping and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize daily tasks, work independently and display initiatives and resourcefulness
- Project management experience and familiarity with the Mailchimp email platform is an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including:
- Motivated self-starter
- Attention to detail and ability to “think on ones feet”
- Strong customer service focus with a flexible and patient demeanor, and ability to empathize when needed
- Ability to adapt to preferred communication modes (ASL, English, voice call, video conference)
$35,000-$40,000 per annum, to commensurate with education and experience
Candidates are invited to indicate their interest by sending a resume and cover letter by July 12, 2017 to Jennifer Best, Executive Director at email@example.com
We thank applicants for their interest in AVLIC. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted