Steps to Complete Membership Renewal for the 2016 - 2017 Membership Year
|What You Need to Know|
|Keep Reading for Additional Information That Is Nice to Know|
|Continue Reading for Complete Details If You Really Want to Know|
What You Need to Know:
All memberships must be renewed by Thursday, March 31, 2016
Step 1: Sign into your MEMBERS ONLY account on the AVLIC website.
Step 2: Use the EDIT PROFILE link at the bottom of the page to see profile details.
- Check your contact details & mailing address to ensure all information is updated & correct.
Step 3: If you have any special arrangements do NOT process online. Click here for examples and details of special arrangements (a).
Step 4: Hover over the blue MEMBERS ONLY tab and click on RENEW MEMBERSHIP from the drop-down menu.
Step 5: Check "agree to adhere to the AVLIC Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Professional Conduct" to proceed to payment options: PAY ONLINE (b) or RENEW AND PAY BY MAIL
Note: the PayPal receipt will act as your official receipt for taxation and reimbursement purposes. AVLIC will not be issuing additional receipts for online payments.
Step 6: AVLIC will notify your Affiliate Chapter(s) of your renewal and will mail out your membership card in March/April.
Additional Info That's Nice To Know:
Membership Renewal Timelines & Additional Fees
Memberships are valid from April 1st to March 31st annually. All memberships must be renewed by Thursday, March 31, 2016
- Members who have not renewed by March 31, 2016, will no longer be members in good standing; all benefits and privileges of membership will be considered lapsed.
- As per motion WP14G-06 (c), members who have not renewed by March 31, 2016, but still renew during 2016 will need to:
- Meet the criteria of membership or grandfather clause; AND,
- Pay the current year membership fee; AND,
- Pay the administration fee [currently 25% of AVLIC membership fees].
- As per motion WP14G-06 (c), if a membership is lapsed for more than one year, the member must pay the membership fees for the one (1) lapsed year in addition to the items above.
- Status within the Canadian Evaluation System (WTK, workshop completion or COI) will be suspended. If the interpreter rejoins AVLIC within a 2-year period, the CES status will be reinstated. Memberships renewed after a 2-year lapse will have CES status revoked and the interpreter would have to restart the CES process again (beginning with the WTK).
- There are no refunds on membership fees once processed.
Complete Details If You Really Want to Know
- If you want to change your Affiliate Chapter or want to add an additional Affiliate Chapter, DO NOT complete the online process. Please contact the AVLIC office to have your profile updated (members can no longer change Affiliate Chapter settings) or complete one of the mail in forms (click Renew and Pay by Mail).
- For members who want to use the Membership Payment Plan DO NOT complete the online process. Please contact the AVLIC office or complete one of the mail in forms (click Renew and Pay by Mail).
- For members who are currently on Membership Leave (formerly known as Exemption) or for members who want to apply for a Membership Leave DO NOT complete the online process. Please contact the AVLIC office.
- For members who are aged 60 or older, reduced fee requests should be processed before the membership is renewed - this only applies to those who have NOT had a personalized reply from the AVLIC office stating membership profile has been updated.
- For members whose employer will be paying for the membership on your behalf, DO NOT complete the online process. Some employers have pre-arranged with AVLIC to cover payments. If this applies to you, you will be notified by your employer. If in doubt, check with your employer first to ask if they have made arrangements directly with AVLIC. Still unsure, contact the AVLIC office before processing your renewal.
- All employer-paid memberships will be processed by the end of February 2016. You will receive a direct e-mail from the AVLIC office when your renewal is finalized. Alternatively, you can check your profile, below the heading called "Membership Information", your account will be listed as "Your membership for 2016-2017 has been renewed" once the renewal is finalized.
- All online payments are processed through PayPal.
- You are NOT REQUIRED to have a PayPal account in order to use this service.
- When you click to PAY ONLINE, you will be directed to the secure PayPal site where you will have to option to use a PayPal account OR to use a major credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express)
- If you are renewing from a computer which has a PayPal account saved in memory (cache), you might be directed to the PayPal account first; simply click on DON'T HAVE A PAYPAL ACCOUNT? to pay using a major credit card instead.
- The PayPal receipt will act as your official receipt for taxation and reimbursement purposes. AVLIC will not be issuing additional receipts for online payments.
I move that beginning in the membership term 2015, AVLIC Active members who do not renew their membership by the deadline of midnight on March 31, annually, will no longer be members in good standing; all benefits and privileges of membership will be considered lapsed.
To reinstate a lapsed membership, the member not in good standing must:
- Meet the criteria of Active membership or the grandfather clause for Active membership; AND,
- Pay the current year Active membership fee; AND,
- Pay the Board-approved administration fee at the time of renewal; AND,
- If the membership is lapsed for more than one year, the member must pay the membership fees for the one (1) lapsed year with the option of paying the lapsed fees by installment. Active membership can lapse and be reinstated within a 2-year period.
Upon reinstatement, a member will have all benefits and privileges of Active membership including their status in the Canadian Evaluation System (CES) restored.
RATIONALE: When membership fees are not renewed by March 31, annually, a member does not risk losing their Canadian Evaluation System (CES) status immediately. This practice is in line with other professional organizations; it offers a clear protocol for all members across Affiliate Chapters and it lessens the administrative burden of the current grace period.
Active membership can lapse and then be reinstated within a 2 year period (e.g. if membership lapses on March 31, 2014, membership must be renewed by March 31, 2016).
Members experiencing exceptional circumstances can apply for membership exemption as per the criteria outlined in the Membership Exemption policy (also known as Membership Leave).
This motion falls in line with WAVLI’s provincial title protection.
This procedure is in response to feedback received from the Special Topic Session held Friday, July 11, 2014 [during the AVLIC 2014 conference in Winnipeg, MB].