CRTC VRS Hearing Starts Monday! Watch or listen live at: http://ww.crtc.gc.ca/eng/home-accueil.htm
As you may already be aware, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunication Commission (CRTC) hearing for "Issues related to the feasibility of establishing a Video Relay Services (VRS)" is scheduled for October 21 − 25, 2013, in Gatineau, Québec. Many AVLIC members wrote submissions back in May strongly encouraging the CRTC to provide VRS in Canada. The next step is the public hearing. AVLIC strongly encourages all members to follow the sessions in person or via web link (details below). With a united force between Deaf organizations, the national Deaf community and AVLIC members - anything is possible.
How has AVLIC been involved and what is planned for the hearing?:
- For information about AVLIC's position on VRS in Canada, please visit the following link: http://www.avlic.ca/node/223
- To read AVLIC's submission to the CRTC, click either of these links: http://www.avlic.ca/AVLICs_Support_of_VRS_in_Canada-Letter_to_CRTC or https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocWebBroker/OpenDocument.aspx?DMID=1912052
- To read AVLIC's Request to Appear letter, click on this link: http://www.avlic.ca/Request_to_Appear_at_CRTC_VRS_Hearing.
- AVLIC's Press Release - Oct. 21, 2013, click on this link: http://www.avlic.ca/sites/default/files/docs/2013-10-21_AVLIC_Press_Release-VRS.pdf
- AVLIC will be presenting at the end of the day on Tuesday, October 22, 2013. AVLIC will be represented by:
President Christie Reaume (left) and First Vice President Jocelyn Mark Blanchet (right)
- Transcript of the AVLIC presenation, click on this link: http://www.avlic.ca/sites/default/files/docs/2013-10_AVLIC_Presentation-CRTC_VRS_Hearing.pdf
How can you find out more about the CRTC hearing?:
For additional information about the hearing, please visit:
- Telcom Notice of Consultation: http://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-155.htm
- Agenda: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/Telecom/eng/HEARINGS/2013/ag21_10.htm
- Public Proceedings: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/proceed-process.htm
Anyone who will be in the Gatineau, Québec area between October 21-25, 2013 is encouraged to attend any or all of the proceedings. For others, there are four options currently available:
- Listen to the live audio feed through the CRTC website (requires Flash player): http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/proceed-process.htm
- Listen to the live audio feed through the CRTC website (on an Apple device): http://phstream.crtc.gc.ca/phearing/apple_devices_stream3_english.html
- Watch the live video feed of the ASL interpretation through the broadcast found on the CRTC website: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/proceed-process.htm
- View the transcript of the hearing which will be posted on the CRTC website: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/transcripts/2013/index.htm
- Request to listen to the hearing at a CRTC office. See http://www.crtc.gc.ca/Telecom/eng/HEARINGS/2013/ag21_10.htm for more details.
Keep watching the AVLIC website for updates on the CRTC hearing or contact the AVLIC office with specific questions.
AVLIC wishes all presenters who have been invited to present at the CRTC hearing in Gatineau, Québec or at their respective CRTC sites all the best. We look forward to a positive outcome on this landmark case.