AVLIC Executive Director Job Posting
Application Deadline : June 24, 2016, 4:00pm ET
AVLIC Executive Director - Job Posting
The Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada is a non-profit, professional association for interpreters whose working languages include a sign language. AVLIC was established in 1979 and has several Affiliate Chapters (ACs) across the country. AVLIC is the only certifying body for ASL-English interpreters in Canada through the means of our Canadian Evaluation System. Among a variety of services, AVLIC also offers a Professional Compliance Review Process (formerly the Dispute Resolution Process) to maintain quality and accountability to the field of interpreting.
The AVLIC Board, representing the membership, is transforming from a working Board of Directors to a governance model and hiring an Executive Director is one aspect of the transition. It is expected that the Executive Director would assist the Board and the members in this transition, while being respectful to history, culture and values of the organization and the community it serves.
The Executive Director is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the association according to the strategic direction set by the AVLIC Board of Directors. The Executive Director will implement the vision and mandate of AVLIC. The Executive Director will provide leadership in identifying priorities and objectives, direct staff and contractors, support committees and ensure AVLIC’s financial and organizational viability.
This is a two-year contract position. Continuation on the position is based on successful resource development. Use of a home-based office is essential, located anywhere in Canada.
Responsibilities And Accountabilities:
- Actively participates in the development and assumes responsibility for the implementation of the overall strategic direction of AVLIC in accordance with the vision, mission, values and strategic direction and goals set by the Board of Directors;
- Drafts policies (for the approval by the Board) and prepares procedures to implement the organizational policies, reviews existing policies on an annual basis and recommends changes to the board as appropriate;
- Acts as a professional advisor to the Board of Directors on all aspects of AVLIC activities, on issues and concerns internal to the Association, and on trends and emerging issues in the external environment;
- Fosters team work among staff, contractors and volunteers and collaborates effectively between the staff and Board;
- Conducts official correspondence on behalf of AVLIC as appropriate.
Financial and Risk Planning & Management
- Ensures appropriate financial management of the Association’s budget, including following appropriate bookkeeping and accounting procedures;
- Ensures appropriate reporting to the Board and funding bodies;
- Works with the Board to prepare, manage and execute a comprehensive annual budget;
- Oversees expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board;
- Ensures compliance with government reporting requirements;
- Ensures AVLIC’s files and records are appropriately safeguarded and managed;
- Identifies and evaluates the risks to the Association’s people (clients, staff, contractors, management, and volunteers), property, finances, goodwill and image and implement measures to mitigate and control risks.
Marketing, Resource Development and Membership
- Communicates effectively, engages stakeholders via media and direct channels;
- Provides guidance and oversight to ensure members and the membership process is supported, enhanced, and wide-reaching;
- Creates marketing plans to increase membership;
- Researches funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals; implement fundraising activities;
- Explores and develops new revenue sources, such as providing additional services or programs on a cost-recovery basis, in order to broaden the funding base of AVLIC.
- Provides strategic guidance and oversight on community engagement to the Board and/or to the appropriate committee(s);
- Develops a plan for the AVLIC Board to maintain strong community connections and partnerships, and pursues continued innovation in, and communication with, interpreting and Deaf communities as well as other stakeholders;
- Ensures AVLIC is represented at community activities in an effort to enhance the Association’s community profile and reputation;
- Determines staffing and volunteer requirements for effective and efficient organizational management and project delivery;
- Establishes good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, government agencies, educational institutions and others as required to help achieve the mission of AVLIC;
- Promotes an enhanced profile for the Association and develops opportunities to market member services at community events.
- Oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the Association using policies and procedures approved by the Board and membership;
- Develops and implements operational plans which oversees the Association’s programs, projects and services;
- Establishes a positive work environment;
- Ensures that the operation of AVLIC meets the expectations of its members, Board and other stakeholders;
- Facilitates effective Board meetings by preparing office reports, meeting agendas, proposing topics for discussion/review, and determines and initiates follow-up actions;
- Supports the work of AVLIC committees and task forces;
- Ensures that the programs and services offered by AVLIC contribute to the Association’s mission and reflect the priorities of the membership and Board.
Human Resources Management
- Manages staff, contractors and volunteers by developing human resources policies, procedures and practices when identified, including hiring, orientation, training, evaluations and/or performance reviews, discipline, when necessary termination and updates and maintains current job descriptions for all staff and volunteers;
- Coaches and mentor staff and contractors, as appropriate, to improve performance;
- Plans for future staffing requirements and determines the experience, skills and personnel qualities needed to effectively deliver programs and services;
- Consults with the Board on an on-going basis and as needed regarding human resources plans and staffing activities.
In addition to fulfilling the job description, the following requirements are sought from the successful candidate:
- Astute awareness and understanding of the interpreting profession;
- Minimum 3-year experience as a senior manager in social services;
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL);
- Fluency in written English;
- Understanding of the Deaf community and Deaf culture;
- Able to manage time in a work-from-home environment at 35-hours per week;
- Use of up-to-date personal technology, including Microsoft Programs, smartphone, printers etc.;
- Savvy with computers and video-technology;
- Available on weekends and evenings, when necessary;
- Willingness to travel;
- Criminal Record check cleared with no criminal activity.
- Salary is based on $60,000 per year for a two-year contract;
- Position will be in a home-based environment;
- Position can be anywhere in Canada;
- Interviews will be held on June 27, 2016 by video-conferencing or in person in downtown Toronto.
- Training will occur on Saturday, July 9 and Sunday, July 10 in Fredericton, NB with the AVLIC president and first vice president.
- Attendance at the AVLIC conference in Fredericton, NB from Monday, July 11 - Sunday, July 17 is mandatory.
Candidates are invited to indicate their interest in this position by sending a resume and cover letter by:
June 24, 2016, 4:00 p.m. EST
Past President, AVLIC Board of Directors
All staff and volunteers of AVLIC are respectful of Board approved values – candidates from all backgrounds are welcome to apply. AVLIC is committed to employment equity.
ONLY THOSE SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED