LS2 Educational Assistant 2
August 28, 2017 - Jan. 15, 2018
Manitoba Education and Training
Program and Student Services, Healthy Child MB Office & K-12 Education Winnipeg MB
Advertisement Number: 33157
Salary(s): LS2 $42,384.00 - $50,309.00 per year
Closing Date: July 26, 2017
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self- declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Aboriginal people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
This is a preference competition. All applicants are encouraged to apply, however first consideration for this competition will be given to persons with disabilities. Applicants are requested to self-declare at the time of application.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Program and Student Services Branch is looking to replace an American Sign Language (ASL)/English Interpreter to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing services unit.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Ability to travel throughout the Province and some overnight stays are required.
- Must produce and maintain a satisfactory Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse Registry Check.
- Member in good standing with the Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada (AVLIC).
- Graduate from an accredited post-secondary American Sign Language (ASL) /English Interpreter Program.
- Experience in interpreting between American Sign Language( ASL) and English
- Experience with simultaneous and consecutive interpreting in a variety of of environments including educational ones.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Strong oral communication skills in English.
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL).
- Experience with translation and phone/video interpreting.
- Knowledge of Bilingual-Bicultural meeting environments.
- Knowledge of research and current developments in the field.
The American Sign Language (ASL)/English Interpreter is a specialized position which provides ASL and English interpretation and facilitates communication between Deaf and hearing people. The ASL/English Interpreter is fluent in both American Sign Language and spoken English and provides simultaneous, consecutive, escort and educational interpreting services within the Program and Student Services Branch, the Manitoba School for the Deaf and in public settings. In addition to ensuring accessible communication for educators, outside agencies, families and students, the ASL/English Interpreter facilitates communication between staff in the department who are Deaf and their hearing colleagues, assists in providing access to supports and services available to all staff and provides interpreter services at public events put on by the Program and Student Services Branch (PSSB).Interpreting may be provided for: various meetings or consultation at the Manitoba School for the Deaf (MSD) or across Manitoba with members of the Consultant Outreach Team; conferences/presentations; and in the classroom setting at MSD or off-campus programs (which may include some tutoring). The incumbent will also be responsible for translation, transliteration, transcribing, and phone/videophone interpreting. Preparation for interpreting assignments is a critical element of this position. The successful candidate must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and to follow the Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Canada (AVLIC) Code of Ethics. A detailed position description is available upon request.
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.